Thursday, April 19, 2007

Revisiting the CPAN initial configuration screen

Recently I made a fresh install of Debian Etch from a NetBoot disk and started installing CPAN modules before I realized the compiler tools - make, gcc, automake, autoconf and friends - are not part of the default NetBoot minimal install (Ok, so I wasn't thinking. That's why it's called minimal, after all.)
Most of the CPAN packages would not compile, returning various make errors. I was stumped when they still would not make after installing make and the other tools, until I realized that CPAN was not able to find make in the PATH during it's initial configuration.
The may be a faster way to do this, but I decided to run the initial configuration again to CPAN would pickup make.
The way I found to do this is open CPAN:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

and then type:

o conf init

to reconfigure.

No comments: